Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Return to Church: St Mary, Aylesbury or select another window

Window: 23, St George's Chapel W, St Mary, Aylesbury

Location in Church:
St George's Chapel W
Type:
3 lights
Subject(s):
Marriage at Cana
Subject(s) - Notes:
The scene of the wedding feast is spread across the 3 lights, with each part under an elaborate canopy, but there are are no tracery lights.
Date Made:
1870
Craftsman:
Sources for Dates & Craftsmen:
Buckinghamshire Herald: 24/Dec/1870
Dedicated to:
In honour of the donor's memory of the church of St Mary in Aylesbury.
Donated by:
Thomas Perrin More...
Notes on Window:
Thomas Perrin offered to pay for the window, but left Archdeacon Bickersteth to choose the subject and the Maker of the window. More...

 


Click on a Thumbnail to go to that image,
Then use links to scroll through images, go to any window, or go to church page.

  Thumbnail
 Image
Click for Details
Window in Situ
Click for Details
Overall View of Glass
Click for Details
Elaborate canopies at the top of the 3 lights
Click for Details
The wedding feast scene, spread across the 3 lights
Top
Click for Details
The inscription below the scenes is from St Ambrose's Epiphany hymn, and describes the water in the pitchers reddening into wine.
Click for Details
Centre light: Our Lord directs the servants, the bride and bridegroom are seated behind him.
Click for Details
Centre light: The bride and bridegroom are seated behind Our Lord.
Click for Details
Left hand light: A servant pours to water into another pitcher.
Top
Click for Details
Left hand light: Closer view of the servant.
Click for Details
Right hand light: Mary, the Mother of our Lord stands with the Ruler of the Feast.
Click for Details
Right hand light: The Ruler of the Feast is about to taste the water turned into wine.
Click for Details
Base of window: A Chalice with a scroll reading "Bibite ex hoc omnes" meaning "Drink ye all of it".
Top
Click for Details
An inscription on a brass plaque below the window.
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2021 Michael G Hardy