Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Return to Church: St John the Baptist, Little Missenden or select another window

Window: 14, N chapel N, St John the Baptist, Little Missenden

Location in Church:
N chapel N
Type:
2 lights
Size (width x height):
2' 7" x 6' 7" or 0.80m x 2.00m
Subject(s):
Agnus Dei, New Jerusalem, Golden Gates, Florence Nightingale, King Edward 1st, St Hugh of Lincoln, King Alfred, Battle of Britain, and Evacuation of Dunkirk.
Subject(s) - Notes:
This window illustrates the havoc of war and the hope of a new Jerusalem. The quotations in the window are from Revelations 21, Isaiah 65, and Ephesians 6. The lower part of the window portrays the Battle of Britain and the evacuation from Dunkirk.
Date Made:
1941
Craftsmen:
Sources for Dates & Craftsmen:
Makers Mark
Dedicated to:
Rt Rev Philip Herbert Eliot More...
Donated by:
Percy William Hett More...
Makers Mark on Window:
Notes on Window:
The window was dedicated on 23 May 1941, a year after the start of the Evacuation of Dunkirk, and is thought to be the first memorial to the event.

 


Click on a Thumbnail to go to that image,
Then use links to scroll through images, go to any window, or go to church page.

  Thumbnail
 Image
Click for Details
Window in Situ
Click for Details
Overall View of Glass
Click for Details
Tracery Quatrefoil with Agnus Dei (Lamb of God), Alpha and Omega (Beginning and End), and Felicity on the bell (meaning Happiness)
Click for Details
The complete "New Jersalem" scene with the Golden Gates in the centre, marked Caritas (Charity). The 4 figures outside the gates all have connections with Buckinghamshire.
Top
Click for Details
The symbols of the four Evangelists. On the left are Lion and Man for St Mark and St Matthew, on the right are Eagle and Ox for St John and St Luke.
Click for Details
Having passed through the Golden Gates, two long lines of the people are ascending to the Heaven on Earth represented by York Minster and Lincoln Cathedral.
Click for Details
The column in the left hand light is climbing to Bootham Bar, the oldest medieval gateway in York's city walls, with York Minster behind it.
Click for Details
At the back of the procession is a King wearing his crown.
Top
Click for Details
The column in the right hand light has arrived at Christ Church Gate in Canterbury, but may be surprised to find Lincoln Cathedral at the top.
Click for Details
The countryside scenes, just inside the Golden Gates, are accurately drawn from Isaiah chapter 11, these are from verse 6.
Click for Details
The figures in the left hand light are Florence Nightingale, sister to Lady Verney of Claydon House, and King Edward 1st who was High Sheriff of Buckinghamshire from 1266 until 1272 when he became King.
Click for Details
The figures in the right hand light are St Hugh who was Bishop of Lincoln from 1186 to 1200 (Buckinghamshire was in the Diocese of Lincoln for 765 years), and King Alfred, King of Wessex from 871-899 (which included Buckinghamshire).
Top
Click for Details
The base of the window illustrates "The Havoc of War" with two scenes from 1940, the Battle of Britain, and the Battle and Evacuation of Dunkirk.
Click for Details
LH Light: Battle of Britain scene. The figure on the left is not St George, but a figure wearing the "Full Armour of God" and holding the "Shield of Faith" (see Ephesians 6:11 & 6:16).
Click for Details
RH Light: Battle and Evacuation of Dunkirk. This window is thought to be the first memorial to the Evacuation of Dunkirk.
Click for Details
RH Light: Inscription commemorating 50 years ministry in Buckinghamshire by Rt Rev Philip Herbert Eliot. Above the inscription are the Bishop's Mitre, and the Arms of the Bishop, the County of Buckinghamshire, and the Bishop of Oxford.
Top
Click for Details
Makers Mark: G.E.R.Smith Invt (Designer)
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy