Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by A K Nicholson Studios - Maker

Archibald Keightley Nicholson (1871-1937) was one of three sons born in London to the educationalist and politician Sir Charles Nicholson. The three were all talented. The eldest, Charles Nicholson (1867-1949), was a pupil of J. D. Sedding and partner of the architect Henry Wilson, becoming a prominent architect himself, and inheriting his father's baronetcy. The youngest, Sydney Nicholson (1875-1947), was the founder of the Royal School of Church Music, and was knighted for his services to music. Like his older brother Charles, Archibald Keightley Nicholson (1871-1937) set out to be an architect. He was articled to Henry Wilson at first, but was drawn more towards other crafts, particularly metalwork and stained glass. He is said to have produced his first glasswork as early as 1894. Despite being largely self-taught in this area. In 1907 he set up his own AK Nicholson stained glass studios in London, moving to 60 Tapson Street, Westminster in 1916 and 105 Gower Street in 1921. Later addresses (1937), 35 Circus Rd. St John's Wood, (1960's) 1 Carlton Hill, St John's Wood. Over his lifetime, A K Nicholson produced over 700 windows. See: AK Nicholson

After Nicholson's death in 1937, the studio continued to operate as AK Nicholson Studios into the 1960s, run by his former chief designer G.E.R. Smith, who joined Nicholson in 1906 and succeeded him on his death in 1937.
(Cf. Jacqueline Banerjee, www.victorianweb.org)

28 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details S aisle S (W) St Mary & All Saints in Beaconsfield, Old 1948 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details Nave S (E) All Saints in Chalfont St Peter 1960 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details Nave S (W) St Anne in Dropmore 1955/6 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details Nave S (C) St James in Gerrards Cross 1952 A K Nicholson Studios
Top
Details S aisle S (W) St Peter & Paul in Great Missenden 1948 dedication amended 1962 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details Nave S (E) St Mary in Hedgerley 1944 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details S aisle E St Peter in Iver 1952 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details S aisle S (E) St Margaret in Iver Heath 1950 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Top
Details S aisle S (2E) St Margaret in Iver Heath 1955 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details Chancel N (W) St Margaret in Iver Heath 1917 & 1954 AK Nicholson
G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details S aisle S (E) St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1939 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details S aisle S (C) St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1939 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Top
Details S aisle S (W) St John the Baptist in Little Missenden A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details S aisle W St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1938 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details West St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1947 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details N aisle N (W) St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1959 Pawle Margaret F
A K Nicholson Studios
Top
Details N Aisle N (E) St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1945 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details N chapel N St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1941 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details N chapel S St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1940 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Details Chapel S Holy Trinity in Penn 1949 A K Nicholson Studios
Top
Details West Holy Trinity in Penn 1949 A K Nicholson Studios
Pawle MF & HL
Details N aisle N (W2) St Mary in Slough Pawle MF & HL
A K Nicholson Studios
Details N aisle N (W3) St Mary in Slough 1960 Pawle MF & HL
A K Nicholson Studios
Details N aisle N (C) St Mary in Slough †1945 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Top
Details N aisle N (E3) St Mary in Slough 1955 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details West St Peter & Paul in Stokenchurch 1950 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details Nave N (W) St Peter & Paul in Stokenchurch 1947 G E R Smith
A K Nicholson Studios
Details N aisle N (C) St Laurence in Winslow 1939 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Pawle MF & HL
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy