Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Return to Church: St Mary & St Nicholas, Saunderton or select another window

Window: 01, East, St Mary & St Nicholas, Saunderton

Location in Church:
East
Type:
3 lights
Size (width x height):
5' 7" x 10' 8" or 1.70m x 3.26m
Subject(s):
The church is dedicated to Saints Mary and Nicholas, who feature in the outer lights of the window.
Date Made:
1888
Craftsman:
Sources for Dates & Craftsmen:
Builder: 20/Oct/1888
Makers Mark
Makers Mark on Window:
Makers Mark - Notes:
The Makers Mark includes the date 1888.
Notes on Window:
The Vicar's wife raised money for this window to be installed at the time of the church's restoration.

 


Click on a Thumbnail to go to that image,
Then use links to scroll through images, go to any window, or go to church page.

  Thumbnail
 Image
Click for Details
Window in Situ
Click for Details
Overall View of Glass
Click for Details
Tracery lights, with Alpha and Omega on the far left and right, representing the Beginning and the End.
Click for Details
The 3 main lights, with the Blessed Virgin Mary, Christ in Majesty, and St Nicholas.
Top
Click for Details
The 3 main figures, the church is dedicated to St Mary and St Nicholas, after the original two churches in Saunderton.
Click for Details
Centre light: Christ in Majesty, with a censer below the steps to his throne.
Click for Details
Centre light: Close up showing Christ with one hand raised in blessing, and the other holding an orb and cross, known as a 'Globus cruciger'.
Click for Details
Centre light: A close look at the golden incense censer. Although just a small part of the East Window, it has some very fine detail. Here you can see two angels on the top, and more around the middle holding the chains that support the censer in use.
Top
Click for Details
LH light: The Blessed Virgin Mary, holding a lily and a book.
Click for Details
LH light: Closer view of the BVM.
Click for Details
RH light: St Nicholas
Click for Details
RH light: St Nicholas holding three bags of gold, from one of the legends of his life.
Top
Click for Details
RH light: A child beside St Nicholas who became the patron saint of children.
Click for Details
Base of window with panels featuring M for Mary, a Christogram, and N for Nicholas.
Click for Details
Makers Mark showing that the window was made by Ward & Hughes in 1888, the year that the church was restored.
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2021 Michael G Hardy