Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Search Craftsman Name by Keyword Show Help...

Windows by John Piper - Artist

John Egerton Christmas Piper, 13 December 1903 - 28 June 1992, painter, printmaker and designer of stained-glass windows and theatre sets. From 1950 Piper began working in stained glass in partnership with Patrick Reyntiens, whom he had met through John Betjeman. Their first completed commission, for the chapel at Oundle School, led to Basil Spence commissioning them to design the stained-glass Baptistry window for the new Coventry Cathedral (1957-61). They produced an abstract design that occupies the full height of the bowed baptistery, and comprises 195 panes, ranging from white to deep blue. John Piper and Patrick Reyntiens went on to design large stained glass windows for the Chapel of Robinson College, Cambridge, and Washington National Cathedral, as well as windows for many smaller churches. Their most monumental piece was the Lantern Tower at Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral (1963-7), for which 150 panels were made 12ft wide, each weighing up to one and a half tons, at Reyntien's studio Burleighfield House, Loudwater, High Wycombe. John Piper is buried at Fawley, Buckinghamshire, close to his home at Fawley Bottom Farm. There is a gallery dedicated to John Piper's work at the River and Rowing Museum, Henley.

4 Windows, listed in Church Order

Sort Windows by Date

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details West St Paul in Bledlow Ridge 1968 John Piper
Details Vestry E St Mary in Fawley 1977 John Piper
Details West Christ Church in Flackwell Heath 1961 John Piper
Details Nave N St Mary the Virgin in Turville 1975 John Piper
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2022 Michael G Hardy