Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by Pawle Margaret F - Maker

Margaret Florence Pawle (1890-1981) and her husband Hugh (Hew) Lewis Pawle (1889-1961) worked for the AK Nicholson studio for 30 years. Hugh Lewis Pawle was the younger son of Lewis Shepheard Pawle of Hutchins Barn, Knotty Green, Penn, Bucks. The 1911 census shows him, age 21, working as a stockbroker, his father's profession. He married Margaret Florence Walden in 1926, their windows are signed with joint names MF & HL Pawle. The 1939 Registration shows Hugh Pawle's occupation as "Stained Glass and Heraldic Arms, and manager of same". Windows signed MF Pawle are mainly after Hugh's death in 1961. It isn't clear when Margaret or Hugh joined AK Nicholson, but their East Window at Holy Trinity, Penn is dated 1931. Hugh Lewis Pawle became librarian and treasurer of The British Society of Master Glass Painters, (BSMGP), founded 1926, the initial BSMGP library (1954) was based at AK Nicholson until Hugh Pawle's death in 1961.
Margaret and Hugh Pawle worked from 105 Gower Street until 1937, 35 Circus Rd. St John's Wood, and 1960's: 1 Carlton Hill, St John's Wood.
After Hugh Pawle's death in 1961, Margaret Pawle worked in her own name from 1 Carlton Road, St John's Wood, and then 14 Victoria Square, Clifton, Bristol 8.

3 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details N aisle N (W) St John the Baptist in Little Missenden 1959 Pawle Margaret F
A K Nicholson Studios
Details S aisle S (E3) St Mary in Slough 1962 Pawle Margaret F
Details S aisle S (W2) St Mary in Slough †1963 Pawle Margaret F
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy