Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by Pawle MF & HL - Artist

Margaret Florence Pawle (1890-1981) and her husband Hugh (Hew) Lewis Pawle (1889-1961) worked for the AK Nicholson studio for 30 years. Hugh Lewis Pawle was the younger son of Lewis Shepheard Pawle of Hutchins Barn, Knotty Green, Penn, Bucks. The 1911 census shows him, age 21, working as a stockbroker, his father's profession. He married Margaret Florence Walden in 1926, their windows are signed with joint names MF & HL Pawle. The 1939 Registration shows Hugh Pawle's occupation as "Stained Glass and Heraldic Arms, and manager of same". Windows signed MF Pawle are mainly after Hugh's death in 1961. It isn't clear when Margaret or Hugh joined AK Nicholson, but their East Window at Holy Trinity, Penn is dated 1931. Hugh Lewis Pawle became librarian and treasurer of The British Society of Master Glass Painters, (BSMGP), founded 1926, the initial BSMGP library (1954) was based at AK Nicholson until Hugh Pawle's death in 1961.
Margaret and Hugh Pawle worked from 105 Gower Street until 1937, 35 Circus Rd. St John's Wood, and 1960's: 1 Carlton Hill, St John's Wood.
After Hugh Pawle's death in 1961, Margaret Pawle worked in her own name from 1 Carlton Hill, St John's Wood, and then 14 Victoria Square, Clifton, Bristol 8.
Hugh Pawle's parents lived in Penn parish, and Holy Trinity, Penn has two windows designed by Margaret and Hugh Pawle, The 1931 East window, 01, in memory of Hugh Pawle's mother and his sister, and the 1949 West window, 06. There is a memorial window, 03, to Hugh Pawle's brother Derek Weatherall Pawle, who was killed in action in Nigeria in 1915.

5 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details East Holy Trinity in Penn 1931 AK Nicholson
Pawle MF & HL
Details West Holy Trinity in Penn 1949 A K Nicholson Studios
Pawle MF & HL
Details N aisle N (W2) St Mary in Slough Pawle MF & HL
A K Nicholson Studios
Details N aisle N (W3) St Mary in Slough 1960 Pawle MF & HL
A K Nicholson Studios
Top
Details N aisle N (C) St Laurence in Winslow 1939 A K Nicholson Studios
G E R Smith
Pawle MF & HL
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy