Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by A L Moore - Maker

Arthur Louis Moore (1849-1939) was born in Brixton and apprenticed in 1868 to a glass painter, J. T. Lyon, with a workshop in Fitzroy Square. In 1871 he set up a partnership, "Gibbs & Moore, artists in stained glass and mural decorations," first in Great Russell Street, then in Southampton Row, where the firm continued to supply churches all over the country, and even beyond it, well into the twentieth century. By this time it was being run by his son, Charles Eustace Moore (1880-c.1965), whom he had taken into partnership in 1896. In its later history, A. L. Moore and Son remained in the Bloomsbury area until 1946, finally closing in about 1955 when it was located in Regent's Park Terrace. (Jacqueline Banerjee. www.victorianaweb.org)

13 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details N aisle N (C) St John the Evangelist in Ashley Green 1930 A L Moore
Details Chancel N (2E) St John the Evangelist in Ashley Green †1916 A L Moore
Details Chancel N (E) St John the Evangelist in Ashley Green †1916 A L Moore
Details East St Simon & Jude in Castlethorpe †1899 A L Moore
Top
Details Chancel S St Lawrence in Cholesbury †1899 A L Moore
Details Nave S St Lawrence in Cholesbury A L Moore
Details N aisle W St Mary in Denham 1913 A L Moore
Details Chancel N St John the Evangelist in Farnham Common 1908 A L Moore
Top
Details Chancel S All Saints in Hulcott 1898 A L Moore
Details Nave S All Saints in Hulcott 1899 A L Moore
A L Moore
Details Nave S All Saints in Hulcott 1899 A L Moore
A L Moore
Details Chancel N (W) St Mary & Nicholas in Saunderton A L Moore
Top
Details S aisle S (E) St Mary in Shenley Church End (MK) †1913 A L Moore
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy