Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by C E Kempe & Co. Ltd. - Maker

This limited company was formed in 1907 to take over the business of Charles Eamer Kempe which had been in operation from 1866 until Kempe's death in 1907. Kempe had left very specific instructions that a Limited Company should be formed with his younger cousin Walter Ernest Tower as Chairman, and the following as Directors: Alfred E Tombleson (Master Glass Painter), Thomas Woolf (Secretary), John Lisle (Designer and Draughtsman), William Tate (Architect). This had all previously been agreed with Kempe beforehand, and the Company's name was C E Kempe & Co Ltd. They continued working for 24 years, but demand for their Gothic style of Stained Glass was rapidly decreasing in the 1920s, and the recession of the 1930s forced closure in 1934. A motif for the new Chairman, Walter Tower, was incorporated into the company's Makers Mark, with a tower in the middle of Kempe's wheatsheaf. Although a few show a tower upside-down, just one, in Slough, shows a tower on its side, marking the very last Kempe window to be produced on the demise of the company in 1934.

23 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details N chapel N St Mary in Amersham 1908 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details N aisle N (E) St John the Evangelist in Ashley Green 1910 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details East St James in Barton Hartshorn 1909 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details N transept N St James in Barton Hartshorn 1910 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Top
Details West St Peter in Chalvey (Slough) 1880 & 1911 Charles Eamer Kempe
AK Nicholson
C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details Nave S (E4) All Saints in Coleshill 1933 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details Chancel S St John the Evangelist in Farnham Common 1929 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details Nave N (C) St John the Evangelist in Farnham Common 1922 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Top
Details S aisle S (W) St Andrew in Great Linford (MK) 1910 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details West (S) St Nicholas in Kingsey 1919 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details West (N) St Nicholas in Kingsey 1919 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details Chancel N (E) St Michael in Lavendon 1919 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Top
Details East (S) All Saints in Marsworth 1919 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details East St Mary in Princes Risborough 1909 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details S aisle S (E) St Mary in Slough 1893, 1931 Charles Eamer Kempe
C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details S aisle S (E2) St Mary in Slough 1931 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Top
Details S aisle S (W) St Mary in Slough 1930 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details N aisle N (E) St Mary in Slough †1933 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details S aisle E St Michael and All Angels in Waddesdon 1916 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details N aisle E St Michael and All Angels in Waddesdon 1921 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Top
Details Chancel S (E) St Laurence in Winslow 1909 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details Chancel S (W) St Laurence in Winslow 1920 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Details Behind Organ St Laurence in Winslow 1929 C E Kempe & Co. Ltd.
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy