Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Lawrence, Bradwell, Old (MK)

Denomination:
C of E - Milton Keynes Deanery
Local Authority UA:
Milton Keynes UA
Address of Church:
Vicarage Road, Bradwell Village, MK (1 mile NW of CMK)
Nearest Post Code:
MK13 9DD
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 83143 39476
Latitude & Longitude:
52.04745, -0.78904  Google Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:
Other Web Site Links:

For details of this church on our "Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire" website, please click here


Notes on Church:
The earliest part of the church is the S Arcade, dating from around 1190 to 1210, with interesting round piers and carved capitals. The Aisle was enlarged around 1260 when the Chancel was probably rebuilt. The W Tower was added around 1380. More...
A major restoration including new roofs was done in 1868 when the Chancel Arch was widened. Another restoration was carried out in 1903 by the architect Edward Swinfen Harris.

Introduction to Stained Glass:The Baily family bought the Manor of Bradwell in 1787. 5 of the windows in the church (03, 04, 06, 07, 08) are in memory of members of the Baily family, who died between 1802 and 1921. The last one was Kitelee Chandos Baily who was Vicar of Bradwell for 52 years. As part of a Restoration project in 1868, there must have been a great desire to fill all the windows with Stained Glass, with some filled with memorial glass. All others seem to have been filled with Powell quarries, of which only one and the 6 tiny Clerestory windows still survive. More...
The church has 6 Clayton & Bell windows. In 1960 Harry Stammers moved to Bradwell, becoming a churchwarden. Amongst other work in the church, he re-glazed 4 windows (02, 05, 09 and 12). They reflect the fact that in his last years he turned to a more abstract style, which can also be seen at Loughton. He died in 1969.


CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

(Links may not work on some mobile devices)


14 WINDOWS

Click on a thumbnail to go to a page for each window

Thumbnail Code   Location Type Subject(s) Date Craftsmen
Details 01 East 3 lights Virgin Mary, Crucifixion, St John the Evangelist, Agnus Dei †1876 Clayton & Bell
Details 02 Chancel S (E) 2 lights Abstract coloured shapes 1960s Harry Stammers
Details 03 Chancel S (W) 2 lights Christ with Martha and Mary ~ Christ restoring sight to the Blind Man. 1868 Henry Casolani
James Powell & Sons
Details 04 S aisle E 3 lights Three Archangels: St Gabriel, St Michael, St Raphael. †1902 Clayton & Bell
Top
Details 05 S aisle S (E) 2 lights Coloured shapes that look like tiers of roses. 1966 Harry Stammers
Details 06 S aisle S (W) 2 lights Annunciation c1868 Clayton & Bell
Details 07 S aisle W 4 lights Tree of Jesse - with Jesse, Isaiah, King David, King Solomon, King Rehoboam, King Jotham, an Angel, St Paul, Mary & Jesus, the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit. †1921 Lavers & Westlake
Details 08 West 3 lights Noah, St John the Baptist, Moses. †1869 (wife) Clayton & Bell
Top
Details 09 Nave N (W) 3 lights Abstract coloured shapes, and St Lawrence c1880s & c1965 Clayton & Bell
Harry Stammers
Details 10 Nave N (E) 3 lights St Chrysostom, St Augustine, St Paul 1886 Clayton & Bell
Details 11 Chancel N (W) 1 light Decorative Quarries 1868 James Powell & Sons
Details 12 Chancel N (E) 1 light Abstract coloured shapes c1965 Harry Stammers
Top
Details 13 S Clerestory 3 individual small windows Decorative Quarries 1868 James Powell & Sons
Details 14 N Clerestory 3 individual small windows Decorative Quarries 1868 James Powell & Sons
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy