Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows dedicated to Rev. Hugh Francis Hodge

1 Window

The Rev. Hugh Francis Hodge (6.3.1908 - 31.5.1975) was an Exhibitioner in English and History at Peterhouse. He went to Maseno near Kisumu in Kenya c.1929, married Vera Louise Wadman of Parkstone in 1934, returning to the Alliance High School, Kikuyu in Kenya. In 1937, they came back to Alrewas where he was vicar (together with Fradley and Wychnor) until 1947 when the family of five went to Bishop Tucker College, Mukono, Uganda. In about 1952(?), he moved to Ruharo, Mbarara, soon starting a new Teacher Training College at Kakoba, about 4/5 miles from Mbarara. Asking for permission from the Bishop, it was named after him as Bishop Stuart College. This has now become Mbarara's Bishop Stuart University. He returned to England to Stowe in 1966 where he was Vicar, and taught at Stowe School and was an assistant chaplain.
(Thanks to Christopher Hugh Hodge, son of Rev Hugh Hodge.)

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Chancel S (W) Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Stowe Simon Whistler
Laurence Whistler
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy