Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by G Maile & Son - Maker

G Maile and Son, Maile Studios. The firm of George Maile and Son, later known as Maile Studios, was founded in 1785 as monumental sculptors at 367 Euston Road, London. There is no fuller record of the founder, though at least one earlier sculptor of the name is known who may be.connected During the C19 the company did not deviate from its original purpose, producing memorials to be set up both inside churches and outside. They are widely distributed geographically (though none is in Sussex) and most are not in any way unusual for the time, though a memorial dated 1891 at Motcombe, Dorset is advanced in style for the date as it is neo-Georgian. A few mid-C19 names of members of the family are known (see Roscoe p787), including a George Maile in 1850. He is probably the statuary and mason of that name (born 1819/20), who in 1871 was living in Kentish Town and in retirement at Leyton in 1891, though no record of his death has been found. He was in turn the father of George Charles Maile (1849-1929), the first member of the family of whom there is a fuller record. He is described as a monumental sculptor and even after his death the family remained in charge, for he was followed by his son Clifford Sydney Maile (1887-1962) whose stated occupation was the same. In fact, before the death of G C Maile the company had extended its activities for in 1925 they were making ecclesiastical metalwork at the next-door premises and by about 1931 described themselves simply as 'ecclesiastical craftsmen', in which capacity they produced a variety of fittings for churches. They were clearly increasingly interested in glass during this period, though the earliest certain date for a window by them is 1936 at Preston, East Riding of Yorkshire and Roscoe notes a monument by them dated as late as 1952. In the 1930s the chief designer was H V Spreadbury, who has yet to be identified more fully. During the post-war period the firm moved first to Bayham Street, NW1, where they had previously had a workshop and then to Canterbury. A S Walker (AW) was their chief designer of glass at this time, though they also used outsiders like C J Edwards, R Baldwin and the shadowy F Baker (FB). Their latest known glass dates from 1996, much at the date when the firm is said to have closed finally. (http://sussexparishchurches.org/architectsandartistsm/)

7 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Nave N (E) St Cecilia in Adstock 1955 G Maile & Son
Details S aisle E All Saints in Brill 1949 G Maile & Son
Arthur Walker
Details Vestry E St Peter in Burnham 1951 G Maile & Son
Details Vestry S St Peter in Burnham 1950 G Maile & Son
Arthur Walker
Top
Details Nave N (2W) Holy Trinity in Lane End 1948 G Maile & Son
Details East All Saints in Loughton (MK) 1945 G Maile & Son
Details East St Mary the Virgin in Westcott 1952 G Maile & Son
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy