Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by John Hardman Powell - Artist

John Hardman senior, (1766-1844), was the head of a family business designing and manufacturing metalwork. Augustus Welby Pugin first had contact with the John Hardmans during the construction of St Chad's Chapel, the forerunner to the cathedral, 1830's to 1841. John Hardman junior, (1812-67), left the family business in 1838 and set up on his own to manufacture ecclesiastical metalwork. Pugin employed Hardman's to provide metalwork for St Chad's Cathedral. From 1845, at the urging of Pugin, John Hardman entered the industry of stained glass manufacture. The first window was completed in 1845. After 1846, Pugin only designed glass for Hardman. John Hardman was joined by his nephew, John Hardman Powell (1827-95) who married Pugin's daughter Anne in 1850. Powell became the chief designer from about 1849, prior to Pugin's death in 1852. Hardman and Powell collaborated with A.W. Pugin's son, E.W. Pugin, and was to continue after E.W. Pugin's death in 1875 with the later firm, Pugin & Pugin. John Hardman and Co. continued producing stained glass in the 21st century with premises in Birmingham, and finally closed in 2008.

4 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Lady Chapel E St Mary & All Saints in Beaconsfield, Old 1870 John Hardman
John Hardman Powell
Details East All Saints in Coleshill 1861 John Hardman
John Hardman Powell
Details Chancel S (E) All Saints in Coleshill 1861 John Hardman
John Hardman Powell
Details Chancel S (W) All Saints in Coleshill 1861 John Hardman
John Hardman Powell
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy