Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by G E Street - Artist

George Edmund Street RA (20 June 1824 - 18 December 1881), also known as G. E. Street, was the son of a London solicitor, and he was educated to follow in his father's footsteps, but in 1840, less than a year after his father's death, he was articled to a Winchester architect, Owen Browne Carter. From 1844 he was assistant to George Gilbert Scott, and in 1849 he set up his own practice. In 1852 he moved to Oxford, only returning to London in 1856. Stylistically, Street was a leading practitioner of the Victorian Gothic revival. Though mainly an ecclesiastical architect, he is perhaps best known as the designer of the Royal Courts of Justice, on the Strand in London. He also designed Stained Glass for many churches.

6 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Clerestory St Mary the Virgin in Addington 1857-8 James Powell & Sons
G E Street
Details East Church of the Assumption in Beachampton 1874 Clayton & Bell
G E Street
Details East St Nicholas in Cuddington 1857 James Powell & Sons
G E Street
Details East St Mary in Wendover 1875 Clayton & Bell
G E Street
Top
Details Sanctuary S St Mary in Wendover 1875 Clayton & Bell
G E Street
Details Chancel N (E) St Mary in Wendover 1875 Clayton & Bell
G E Street
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy