Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by Clarke, Miss Harriet - Artist

Harriet Ludlow Clarke was the fourth daughter of Edward Clarke, a London solicitor. Around 1837 she started to earn a living as a wood engraver, which was then unusual for a woman. She became a designer and painter on glass, studying at home and abroad to master the techniques, and helped by the leading stained glass painter William Wailes. She was commissioned to execute a large window in the north-west transept of Canterbury Cathedral, representing the history of Thomas a Beckett. She prepared full-sized colour cartoons for this, failing health prevented her from executing her designs on glass: the windows were put up in May 1863 by Henry Hughes of Ward and Nixon. Ill-health stopped Clarke's activity as an artist.

1 Window

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details East St Mary the Virgin in North Marston 1855 Ward & Nixon
Clarke, Miss Harriet
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy