Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Windows by Shrigley & Hunt - Maker

The business began in the 1750s when Shrigley's was a painting, carving and gilding firm in Lancaster, Lancashire. In 1868, control of Shrigley's was passed to Arthur Hunt, a Londoner, who ran a stained glass and decorating business in the south of England. Hunt had worked under designer Henry Holiday at the firm of Heaton, Butler & Bayne. Holiday influenced Hunt to create brighter, more realistic and more understandable figures and stories from the bible. Hunt's chief designers were Carl Almquist who had also studied under Holiday, and E.H. Jewitt. From 1878, the firm became known as Shrigley and Hunt, with premises on Castle Hill, Lancaster opposite the main gate of Lancaster Castle. The new company also had a showroom in London. Hunt died in 1917 and leadership passed to Joseph Fisher. After World War II the company moved to West Road, Lancaster; fire destroyed much of those premises in 1973. The firm closed with Fisher's death in 1982. Shrigley and Hunt made windows for many churches, including the Priory Church of St Mary in Lancaster and St Paul's Church in Scotforth. Their work can also be found throughout the UK and in Europe. As well as stained glass, Shrigley and Hunt made ceramic tiles; in the late 19th century these formed an important part of the income of the company. Some of the tiles can be seen still in situ outside their former workshop on Castle Hill. The firm also produced craft decoration including stencilled wall and ceiling decoration. Wikipedia

5 Windows, listed in Church Order

Window Location Church Date Craftsmen
Details Nave S (3W) St Mary in Amersham 1905 Shrigley & Hunt
Details East St James in Gerrards Cross 1894 Shrigley & Hunt
Beresford Pite
Details N aisle N (W) St Mary Magdalene in Great Hampden 1880 Shrigley & Hunt
Details S aisle E All Saints in Marlow 1896 Shrigley & Hunt
Top
Details N aisle N (W) St Mary in Slough †1941 Shrigley & Hunt
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy