Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Peter (RC) , Marlow

Denomination:
RC - Northampton Diocese - South Bucks Pastoral Area
Local Authority District:
Wycombe
Address of Church:
St Peter's Street, Marlow
Nearest Post Code:
SL7 1NQ
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SU 85209 86354
Latitude & Longitude:
51.56963, -0.77196  Map
Church Web Site:
Other Web Site Links:

Notes on Church:
The original church was designed by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, and opened in 1846. It had been paid for by Charles Robert Scott Murray, and built by Pugin's favourite builder George Myers of Hull. At the same time, Pugin had designed a private Catholic Chapel for Scott Murray at his home Danesfield House, 3 miles up the River Thames. More...
Marlow's church of St Peter was enlarged by adding a new modern church at the east end, which was designed by Francis Pollen, and opened in 1970. The churches of 1846 and 1970 are linked together via the east end of the north aisle of Pugin's church, but cleverly maintain their own independent characters.

Introduction to Stained Glass:There are a number of Stained Glass windows in Pugin's church, mainly made by Pugin's favourite designer, Hardman. Full details and photos of these will be added in the near future.

Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy