Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


Christ Church, High Wycombe

Important Church Note:
Church demolished in 1966
Denomination:
Was a CoE Church, parish transferred to All Saints
Local Authority District:
Wycombe
Address of Church:
Crendon Street, High Wycombe
Nearest Post Code:
HP13 6LW
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SU 86789 92971
Latitude & Longitude:
51.6288784, -0.7476848  Map

Notes on Church:
In 1873 a group of Evangelicals, including members of the Wheeler family, left the congregation of All Saints Parish Church to join the 'Free Church of England'. In early 1875 they opened an Iron Church in Crendon Street, calling it Christ church from 1883. By 1889 a new brick and stone church (designed by Arthur Vernon) had been built to accommodate up to 500 people. But the congregation were already wanting to become part of the established Church of England again, and in 1897 a separate CoE parish was formed on the eastern side of the town. The new parish thrived for some years, but by the 1960s it was decided to combine it with All Saints again, and Christ Church was demolished in 1966.

No Stained Glass in this Church

Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2018 Michael G Hardy