Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Teresa (RC), Princes  Risborough

Denomination:
RC - Northampton Diocese - Aylesbury Deanery
Local Authority to 2020:
Wycombe District Council
Local Authority UA:
Bucks UA (North West Chilterns)
Address of Church:
New Road, Princes Risborough
Nearest Post Code:
HP27 9HG
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 80786 03640
Latitude & Longitude:
51.72566, -0.83178  Google Map
Church Web Site:

Notes on Church:
St Teresa's church was built in 1937/8, designed by an Italian, Guiseppi Rinvolucri. He designed 3 churches in Wales and 2 in England. With other people in the 1930s, he was a keen advocate of concrete, particularly for roofs. He gradually developed the idea of relatively small windows in groups of 3, high up on the walls, which you can best see at Ludlow and Princes Risborough. More...
In 1974 the interior of this church was completely turned around, so the old W entrance was blocked off, and a new one built at the E end with a new Narthex or entrance area. A balcony was also added to the old Sanctuary, and the open space of the interior is now well suited to modern open forms of worship, around the Sanctuary, rather than just being able to peer into it.

Introduction to Stained Glass:The windows of St Teresa's church are presented on this website in a completely different order to other churches. That is because all the windows form series, so they are arranged here precisely in those series, firstly with 6 of St Teresa and 6 of Our Lady from 1950, all by Pilgrim Wetton. Next are 12 of Fire and 12 of Water from 1999, all by Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens. Finally there are another 2 Nuttgens windows from 2001, and 1 of 2013. The church plan below will help to locate them. More...
There are 36 stained glass windows in most of the original window openings of the 1938 church. The windows are all individual, but arranged in groups of 3 very high up on the thick walls. Each individual opening is 1.5 m (49 inches) high by 0.4 m (16 inches) wide. The glass is all mounted on the outer face of the walls, consequently making it impossible to see the lowest parts of each window from the interior, apart from a few visible from the gallery. I am pleased to have been able to use special high level equipment, in 2019, to take complete views of all the stained glass windows.


CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

(Links may not work on some mobile devices)


11 WINDOWS

Click on a thumbnail to go to a page for each window

Thumbnail Code   Location Type Subject(s) Date Craftsmen
Details A S Chapel W - St Teresa's Chapel Group of 3 lights The young St Teresa (Therese of Lisieux) praying with her family. 1950 Pilgrim Wetton
Details B S Chapel E - St Teresa's Chapel Group of 3 lights St Teresa as a Saint in heaven, with the Holy Family. 1950 Pilgrim Wetton
Details C N Chapel W - Our Lady's Chapel Group of 3 lights The Annunciation. Virgin Mary, the Holy Spirit, and the Archangel Gabriel. 1950 Pilgrim Wetton
Details D N Chapel E - Our Lady's Chapel Group of 3 lights Mary, Queen of Heaven, with an Orchestra of Angels. 1950 Pilgrim Wetton
Top
Details E N Side 9 lights, arranged in 3 groups of 3. A series of 9 scenes depicting FIRE, derived from the Old and New Testaments, in which God allows his Power to be seen. 1999 Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens
Details F W end N 3 lights Stars, continuing the theme of Fire from window E. 1999 Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens
Details G S Side 9 lights, arranged in 3 groups of 3. A series of 9 scenes depicting WATER, derived from the Old and New Testaments, in which God allows his Power to be seen. 1999 Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens
Details H W end S 3 Lights Fish, continuing the theme of WATER from window G. 1999 Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens
Top
Details I Old W door S 1 round window on a lightbox The Nativity 2001 Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens
Details J Old W door N 1 round window on a lightbox Christ allowing the children to approach him. 2001 Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens
Details K SE 1 light St Teresa's Church and Roses (for 'St Teresa', Therese of Lisieux) 2013 Joseph Ambrose Nuttgens
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy