Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches


St Dunstan, Monks Risborough

Denomination:
C of E - Aylesbury Deanery
Local Authority District:
Wycombe
Address of Church:
Mill Lane, Monks Risborough, Princes Risborough
Nearest Post Code:
HP27 9JF
O/S Map Reference/NGR:
SP 81271 04420
Latitude & Longitude:
51.7326, -0.82458  Map
Church Web Site:
CofE ACNY Web Site:

Introduction to Stained Glass:St Dunstan's has fragments of medieval glass in 3 windows. Otherwise, the 4 largest windows with Stained Glass were all made by Clayton and Bell in the 1860s and 1870s. The only other window, to celebrate the Millennium of St Dunstan was made in 1988 by Michael Farrar Bell, the successor to Clayton and Bell. More...
The four 19th century windows all have a strong contrast between the main colours in the windows and the colours of the faces of people portrayed. They have been adjusted as far as possible to show as much detail as possible across each window.


CHURCH PLAN

Click to enlarge Plan

WINDOWS

Click on a thumbnail to go to a page for each window

Thumbnail Code   Location Type Subject(s) Date Craftsmen
Details 01 East 3 lights Christ carrying Cross, Crucifixion, Deposition. Figures of 12 apostles with their emblems. Christian symbols in the Tracery. 1864 (probably) Clayton & Bell
Details 03 Chancel S(W) 3 lights Fragments of medieval glass 15C
Details 04 S Aisle E 3 lights St Cecilia, earthly music makers, angel musicians. 1872 Clayton & Bell
Details 05 S Aisle S(E) 2 lights Fragments of 15th Century glass. 15th Century
Top
Details 09 West 2 lights Nativity Scene ~ Three Kings ~ Comet †1863 Clayton & Bell
Details 12 N Aisle N(E) 3 lights St Dunstan as churchman, scribe, and crowning King Edgar. 1989 Michael C Farrar Bell 
Details 14 N Transept E 3 lights Bishop Samuel Wilberforce, Apostle preaching, Apostle healing, the 4 Evangelists, the 8 Great Fathers of the Church. 1874 Clayton & Bell
Details 15 Chancel N(W) Tracery above 3 lights Fragments of medieval glass, including a Tudor Rose. 15th century
Top

Stained Glass of Buckinghamshire Churches

©2003-2013 Clifford and Monica Robinson

©2015-2020 Michael G Hardy