Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire is a project launched in 2018, with only a few churches included at the moment.

Search all Feature text by Keyword Show Help...

Index of Architectural Features

Architectural Features - These could include complete buildings, additions, particular details, restoration work, and adaptations.

 66 churches with 279 Architectural Features

Church Thumbnail
(Click Image to Enlarge)
St Mary the Virgin Addington 14C: Arcades and Chancel Arch. These are the only substantial parts of the interior of the medieval church that survive.
Photo shows North Arcade & Chancel Arch.

Perp: West Tower. This is the only exterior part of the medieval church that survives.
Photo shows North side of Tower.

1856-8: Restoration and Rebuilding. The church was extensively restored, which involved rebuilding the Porch, Aisles and Clerestory, as well as building a new Chancel and Vestry. Architect was George Edmund Street.
This view shows the South side, the new Vestry was built on the North side of the Chancel.

St Cecilia Adstock 12C: Lower parts of Nave walls.

12C: Parts of Nave N and S doorways.

14C: Chancel.

15C: Upper parts of Nave walls.

Perp: W Tower

1597: Chancel Roof (dated).

1599: Nave Roof (dated).

1855: Restoration.

1875: Restoration and Furnishings. Architect was William White.

St James Akeley 1854: New church built. Architect was John Tarring.

1981: Church demolished. It was demolished as the building was deemed unsafe in 1979.
This view is from East of the site of the Chancel. The twigs are on the remains of the East and North walls of the Chancel.

St Mary Amersham 13C: Transepts. They are the most significant survivals from the 13C. Image shows an original 13C narrow lancet window in the W wall of the S Transept.

Perp: W Tower and N Chapel. This West Doorway is easily recognised for its Perpendicular style.

Perp: S Porch Vault. This medieval vault (with its surprising corbels) makes a splendid entrance to the church. The Vault has stone bosses, including Tudor roses. Above the side windows are corbels with the heads of a dog and a pig.
Close-up view of the Pig Corbel on the East side of the Vault.

1870-2: Restoration. Extensions were added to N & S sides, and the church was re-faced with flints. Architect was Frederick Preedy. This view is from the South East.

1870-2: Rebuilding 14C Arcades and Chancel Arch. Architect was Frederick Preedy. This view is from the West end of the Nave.

1870-2: Timber Vault of Chancel. Architect was Frederick Preedy.

1960s: Interior refurbished. Work included renewing the floor. Designer was Sebastian Comper.

1728: Drake Chapel built. It was built to the North of the Chancel, to house a large monument for Montague Garrard Drake. The monument for Montague Garrard Drake is seen on the right here.

1811: Drake Chapel extended. The Chapel was doubled in size, with the side walls left plain, leaving more room for monuments. Seen here from the NE, the only window is in the E wall. Below it was a doorway to the Crypt, now blocked up.

St Mary Ashendon 12C: Parts of Norman Nave.

c1200: Nave extended to W.

13C: S Aisle W arch of arcade.

c1300: S Aisle two E arches of arcade.

c1300: Blocked arch to former N Transept.

Perp: W Tower.

Perp: Clerestory windows.

†1609: Entrance to Falconer burial place. The remains are on the N side of the Nave. The squint is presumed to have been for viewing a lofty monument to William Falconer, who died in 1609.
These stones could have been part of the Falconer monument.

1807: Chancel restored.

St John the Evangelist Ashley Green 1873-4: New church built. Architect was George Edmund Street.

St James the Great Aston Abbotts late 15C: West Tower. The Medieval Tower was left when the rest of the church was rebuilt in the 1860s. This photo shows the Tower from the NE.

1865-6: Nave and Chancel rebuilt. Architect was George Edmund Street. South side of the Nave and Chancel.

1890: Organ Chamber & Vestry added. Seen here from the NE.

St Michael & All Angels Aston Clinton c1270: S Arcade.
Detail of S Arcade capitals.

c1340: N Arcade and Tower Arch.
Detail of N Arcade capitals (70 years later than the S Arcade) with finer mouldings on the capitals and label stop heads.

14C : Circular Clerestory Windows.

14C : Chancel and Chancel Arch.

14C : Three seated Sedilia and Piscina. On the S wall of the Chancel, they all have ogee arches and tall pinnacles, all ornately crocketed.
Three seats, and very elaborately decorated stonework, is surprising for a village church.
A closer look at the arch over the right hand seat.

14C : Easter Sepulchre. Quite a rare survival, on the N wall of the Chancel, like the Sedilia, it has an ogee arch. The 2 angels are 19C replacements of the original figures.
In the 1840s the 2 statues were described as mutilated, one had no legs, and the other no head.

1800: Tower rebuilt.

1849: Chancel Restored. Church seating was also replaced. Architect was Edward Buckton Lamb.

1849: Chancel Roof. An unusual design by Edward Buckton Lamb. Architect was Edward Buckton Lamb.

1867: Restoration of Nave. The Porches were also restored. The upper Storey of the S Porch was originally the Priest's Room.

St Michael and All Angels Aston Sandford 13C: Remains of Chancel Arch. S Capital of Chancel Arch, centre portion is 12C/13C.
N Capital of Chancel Arch, centre portion is 12C/13C.

1877: Restoration Plans by George Gilbert Scott. GG Scott made plans for the restoration, but died in March 1878. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott. As a boy, GG Scott visited his grandfather (Thomas Scott) at Aston Sandford. South side of the church.

1877-8: Church restored and Chancel rebuilt. Architect was Edward George Bruton. Bruton was an Oxford Architect who probably completed the work planned by George Gilbert Scott. Chancel rebuilt in 1877/78.
Nave restored in 1877/78.

St Peter Astwood 14C: S Aisle & Arcade, Chancel Arch, N Doorway.

Dec: S Aisle, Decorated Style. The windows were repaired in 1988.

Dec: W window. The window was moved to the Tower when it was built.

Perp: W Tower

1940: Church damaged by a bomb. The Nave Roof and S Porch suffered the most damage.

1963: New concrete Nave Roof.

St Mary Aylesbury 1849: Restoration (Roofs and Interior). Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.

1866: Restoration (Exterior). Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.

1897: Restoration of Lady Chapel adjoining South Transept. Architect was John Oldrid Scott.

St Mary Ballinger 1873: Built as "a school and lecture room for the poor". Drawing showing Mr Watson (donor) with Teachers and Pupils.
Plaque over entrance porch.

1920: School used as the Village Church from 1920. The glass dates from 1953.
View of Interior in 2019.

St James Barton Hartshorn 13C: Nave.

1842-3: Chancel and Bellcote rebuilt.

1842-3: West Gallery.

1905: Restoration. Architect was Fielding & Horseman.

Church of the Assumption Beachampton 14C: Arcades.

1873-4: Upper part of Tower. Architect was George Edmund Street.

St Michael & All Angels Beaconsfield, New 1914-16: New church built. Architect was George Halford Fellowes Prynne .

1954-55: East end extended.

1963: Lady Chapel added.

St Teresa (RC) Beaconsfield, New 1926: New church built. Architect was ASG Butler.

1947: W end extended with new tower. Architect was Adrian Gilbert Scott.

St Mary & All Saints Beaconsfield, Old 1520s: 3 Western Bays of Nave.

1520s: Most of Tower.

1868: Restoration, Nave extended & Chancel rebuilt. Architect was Henry Woodyer.

1886: S Porch.

St Margaret Biddlesden 1735: Private chapel built as part of new house, by owner Henry Sayer.

1904: Restoration. Architect was J D Salt.

St James the Great Bierton 14C: Cruciform church with central tower.

Perp: Nave Roof.

1852: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1882: Restoration of Chancel. Architect was Ewan Christian.

All Saints Bisham (Berks) 12C: Norman W Tower.

1829-30: S Aisle extended. Architect was William Lane.

1849: Remodelled in Dec style. Architect was Benjamin Ferrey.

1856: S Porch added. Architect was Benjamin Ferrey.

1877-8: N Aisle added. Architect was Richard Drew.

1910: Interior of Chancel remodelled.

Holy Trinity Bledlow Norman: 12C plain N Doorway and E bay of N Aisle.

c1200: Arcades.

1876-77: Restoration. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.

St Paul Bledlow Ridge 1868: New church built. Architect was David Brandon.

1989: Parish Rooms added to N side. Architect was Geofrey Hawkins.

St Mary Bletchley (MK) Norman: Stonework in S Doorway.

13C: Chancel.

14C: S Aisle, N Arcade and N Chapel.

15C: N Arcade.

Perp: W Tower.

1704-9: Restoration. Architect was Browne Willis.

1867-8: Restoration. Architect was William White.

St James Boarstall 1818: Church rebuilt on old foundations.

1884: Alterations made. Architect was Henry James Tollit.

St Mark Bourne End 1889: New church built. Architect was A Mardon Mowbray.

1914: Church almost completely rebuilt. Architect was Charles James Blomfield.

St Mary Magdalene Boveney Norman: Norman basic structure.

All Saints Bow Brickhill 15C: Much of Church rebuilt.

1630: Date on Nave Roof.

1756: Restoration & New E wall of Chancel. Architect was Browne Willis.

1834: N Aisle added. Architect was C Warren.

1883: Restoration of Interior.

1907: S Porch. Architect was Edward Swinfen-Harris.

St Botolph Bradenham Norman : S Doorway (with Saxon style elements).
Top of Doorway with a high and a rough lintel, and plain tympanum.

Perp: W Tower. Seen from North West

1542: Chantry Chapel, built by Lord Windsor. Seen from North West
Interior looking East

1863 & 65: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street. Complete Chancel was rebuilt, and Nave walls covered in flints.
New Nave roof.

20C: Sculpture of St Botolph. Over the interior of S Door, done in the style of Eric Gill.

St James Bradwell, New (MK) 1857-60: New church built. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1883: Bell Turret added to Tower base. Street had originally planned a Tower and Spire, which was never built.

1897: N Aisle added. Work was done to Street's original design.

1950s (12C): Norman Arch moved here. Norman Trsnsitional Arch was moved here from the ruined St Peter's church at Stantonbury in the early 1950s.

St Lawrence Bradwell, Old (MK) c1200: S Doorway and S Arcade.

1868: Restoration.

1903: Restoration. Architect was Edward Swinfen-Harris.

1992: Extension built.

All Saints Brill Norman: Traces of original Norman church.

13C: Chancel Arch.

1637: Chancel Roof.

1835: N Aisle added. Architect was Alfred Ainger.

1883: Chancel Restored.

1888-89: S Aisle added, and Restoration. Both Arcades were also rebuilt. Architect was John Oldrid Scott.

St Lawrence Broughton (MK) 14C: Nave and Chancel.

Perp: W Tower.

1859: Chancel Restored.

1864-1881: Further Restorations in Stages. Architect was William White.

St Peter & Paul Buckingham 1777-81: New church built on new site. Church built to replace medieval church after collapse of central tower. Architect was Francis Hiorne. (Probably by Hiome).

1865-6: New Chancel. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.

from 1868: Extensive Alterations to Nave and Aisles. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.

to 1883: Alterations completed at W end. Architect was John Oldrid Scott.

1884: W gallery added. Architect was John Oldrid Scott.

19C: Spire added to Tower.

All Saints Buckland 13C: N Arcade.

c1300: Tower Arch.

14C : S Doorway.

Perp: Kingpost roof on Nave.

1869: Restoration, including new chancel roof and organ chamber. Architect was George Devey.

1880: Further Chancel Restoration.

1893: Tower rebuilt. Architect was W F Taylor .

St Peter Burnham early 13C: Lower parts of Tower.

13C: Much of the interior.

14C: Nave Roof, Scissor-Braced.

1863-64: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1891-92: Top of Tower rebuilt and Spire added.

St Mary-the-Moor Cadmore End (Common) 1851: New Church. Architect was Rhode Hawkins.

All Saints Calverton 1817-18: Church partly rebuilt, particularly the W Tower. Architect was William Pilkington.

1850s: More rebuilding.

1871-72: Restoration and Decoration. Architect was Edward Swinfen-Harris.

St Simon & Jude Castlethorpe c1200: N Arcade.

Dec: Chancel.

1729: W Tower rebuilt. Tower rebuilt after collapse of previous tower.

St Giles Chalfont St Giles Norman: Some Norman evidence in S Aisle.

13C: Chancel.

14C: S Aisle.

Perp: N Aisle, Clerestory, and W Tower.

1861: Restoration of Chancel. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1863: Restoration of Rest of Church. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1867: Restoration of Exterior completed. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1884: Organ Chamber built. Architect was John Pollard Seddon.

1895: Timber S Porch. Architect was John Oldrid Scott.

All Saints Chalfont St Peter 1912-13: N Aisle only of large church planned, in Arts & Crafts style. Architect was Temple Lushington Moore.

St Joseph (RC) Chalfont St Peter 1914: One Aisle and Lady Chapel built before WWI stopped work. Architect was Percy Aiden Lamb.

1931: Highly decorative marble and mosaic work, in Chantry Chapel and Lady Chapel. Artist was Cesare Tito Guiseppe Formilli. Formilli's best known work is at the Brompton Oratory.

1962: Rest of church built in a large concrete structure. Architect was Percy Kelly.

St Peter Chalfont St Peter 1708: Collapse of Tower destroys medieval church, only a few stones now remain.

1714-18: Rebuilding of complete church in brick.

c1800: Churchyard Iron Railings and Gate.

1852-54: Re-modelling of church, with new windows, larger Chancel, and new S Aisle. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1887: South Porch added.

1965: Nave re-roofed and ceiling added. Architect was Colin Smithells.

St Peter Chalvey (Slough) 1860-1: New church built. Street had designed the church in 1859. Architect was George Edmund Street.

St Nicholas Chearsley 13C: Nave.

Late 15C: Chancel.

Perp: West Tower.

1761: West Gallery.

18C: Back Porch.

St Giles Cheddington Norman: Fragments of stone preserved in walls of porch & vestry.

mid 14C: Chancel Arch.

15C: W Tower.

15C: N Aisle.

1855-56: Restoration including new roofs. Architect was George Edmund Street.

St Michael Chenies 15C: Church Rebuilt.

15C: Some wooden angels bearing shields survive from the 15C roof.

late 15C: S Arcade, S Aisle Windows, Chancel Arch.

1861-2: Restoration. Architect was Henry Clutton.

1866-7: Further restoration. Architect was Alexander Macpherson.

1886-7: Hammerbeam roof, part of restoration. Architect was Alexander Macpherson.

1895-6: S Aisle extended for an Organ Chamber. Architect was Alfred J Pilkington.


1556: Bedford Chapel added on N side.

1617: Family Vault added below Bedford Chapel.

1861-2: Family Vault extended to the North. Architect was Henry Clutton.

1886-7: Bedford Chapel and Vault extended to the West. Architect was Alexander Macpherson.

1886-7: Hammerbeam roof on Bedford Chapel. Architect was Alexander Macpherson.

1906-7: Bedford Chapel extended to the East and North, with a new Aisle. Architect was George Frederick Bodley.

Christ Church Chesham 1862-64: An Early English style church with a S Aisle, all having flint faced walls. Architect was John Raphael Brandon.

Emmanuel Chesham 1887: An Early English style brick church. Built by the same architect as St George's church Tylers Hill, 1.4 miles to the west. Architect was Morton M Glover.

1989-90: Large Octagonal extension. Architect was Aldington, Craig & Collinge.

St Mary Chesham Norman: Part of a 12C window in N Transept.

13C: Arcades and E Arch of Central Crossing.

Dec: S & N & W arches of Central Crossing.

Perp: S Aisle, S Porch, W front.

1886-9: Restoration. Architect was Sir George Gilbert Scott.

St Leonard Chesham Bois 14C: Original Fabric.

1818-4: Restoration & new N Aisle. Architect was W Waymouth & Son.

1884: SW Tower.

1911: W extensions & Vestry added. Architect was Kemp & How.

St Mary & Nicholas Chetwode from 1245: Priory built.

early 14C: N Chapel added.

1480: Priory granted to parish as their church. This followed Dissolution after 1460.

c1600: All except the old Chancel of the Priory was demolished.

c1600: W wall built and NW Tower cum Porch added. This followed the demolition of the rest of the Priory church.

St Lawrence Chicheley early 14C: Nave.

early 14C: N Arcade and Aisle.

15C: Central Tower. The tower possibly replaced an earlier central tower.

16C: Clerestory.

1909: New Vestry. Architect was Edward Swinfen-Harris.

St Mary the Virgin Chilton 13C: Chancel & S Transept.

Dec: N Tower, in an unusual position.

Perp: Nave and S Porch.

St Lawrence Cholesbury 13C: Nave with its S doorway.

14C: Chancel.

c1710: Wooden bell-turret. Probably pre 1710, or a copy of it.

St Andrew Cippenham (Slough) 1934: Original St Andrew's church opened. Less than 40 years later it was replaced.

1970: New Shared Church of St Andrew opened. This was the first church in Britain designed to be shared by Anglicans and Catholics. Architect was Michael Hattrell.

St Mary the Virgin Clifton Reynes Norman: Lower stages of Tower. The narrow plan of the Nave is undoubtedly Anglo-Saxon.

14C: Top of Tower.

c1400: Most of church rebuilt including Arcades and Chancel.

1801: N Aisle rebuilt.

1842-43: Restoration.

1883-84: Restoration. Edward John Tarver.

St Mary Cold Brayfield Norman: Window and possibly also the walls.

13C: Tower.

13C: Chancel.

late 13C: N Porch.

1881: Restoration.

1893: Restoration.

All Saints Coleshill 1860-61: New church built. Architect was George Edmund Street.

after 1918: Vestry added.

St Thomas Colnbrook 17C: Clock from original Town Chapel.

1848-52: New church built with Nave and Chancel. Architect was Benjamin Ferrey.

1862-63: N Aisle added. Architect was George Edmund Street.

1875: Vestry & Organ Chamber added. Architect was H Roumieu & Gough.

St Nicholas Cublington c1400: Church built on a new site.

c1400: Tower has some unsusual features. Deep outer splays of W window, and blank S belfry opening.

1861: Restoration.

1887: Restoration.

St Nicholas Cuddington 13C: Nave and Aisles.

early 14C: Chancel.

1856-7: Restoration. Architect was George Edmund Street.

St Paul Horn Hill, Chalfont St Peter late 19C: A Victorian Chapel-of-Ease.

All Saints Hulcott 13C: Nave Walls. The South wall, on the right, has had the later arches cut out of the wall.

c1330: S Arcade Eastern Arch.

c1340: Chancel. Chancel Arch, Chancel Walls, parts of E & S Windows of Chancel.

15C: New W and N windows in Nave. This shows the West window.
This shows the North window.

15C or 16C: Wooden Bell Turret. On W end of Nave.
Timber Framework in Nave, that supports the Bell Turret.

15C or 16C: N Porch.

early 16C: S Aisle added to replace Transept or Lady Chapel. The South wall, on the right, has had the later arches cut out of the wall.

1861-1863: Restoration including New Roofs. Architect was George Edmund Street.

c1865: Decorative brick wall built along front of churchyard. Architect was George Devey. (Probably by Devey).

St Peter Ilmer 12C: 12C Norman Doorway (now blocked). Was original S doorway

15C: Sculpture on Window Seat. St Christopher and Trinity.
LH side: St Christopher.
RH side: Trinity.

c1500: Bell Tower Support Framework. Timberwork at W end of Nave.

1909 : Spire. Added in 1909 to Bell Tower of c1500.

St John Evangelist Lacey Green 1825: Church built, Nave, Transepts, and Porch. Designer was John Norris.

1825: Church built, Nave, Transepts, and Porch. Architect was James Chadley.

1825: Unusual Cast Iron Window Frames. Designer was John Norris.

1825: Hammerbeam Roof. A very delicate style of Hammerbeam Roof. Architect was James Chadley.

1871: Chancel added. Flint exterior, Polychromatic brickwork interior. Architect was John Pollard Seddon.
Looking down to the East wall of Nave and the Chancel with their very elaborate brickwork.

St George Tylers Hill 1871: A small Early English style brick church. Built by the same architect as Emmanuel church Chesham, 1.4 miles to the east. Architect was Morton M Glover.

1930: Chancel rebuilt.

1991: West Extension added.
Top of Page

Historic Churches of Buckinghamshire

All photographs by Michael G Hardy unless stated otherwise

©2017-2024 Michael G Hardy